The Life! program is a Victorian lifestyle modification program that helps you reduce your risk of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
Ballarat Community Health runs daytime and evening Life! groups throughout the year, and the program is free for most people.
To discuss your diabetes and heart disease risk and eligibility for the Life! Program please contact the Diabetes Australia Life! Team on 13 RISK (13 74 75). They will be able to discuss the group options available to you.
Alternatively go to https://www.lifeprogram.org.au/about-the-life-program/about-the-program to check your risk and enquire about upcoming programs in your local area.
To participate in the Life! program, participants must have one or more of the following eligibility criteria:
- 18 years and over and have an AUSDRISK score ≥ 12 and a BMI score ≥ than 25
- 18 years or more and have previously been diagnosed with one or more of the following:
- cardiovascular disease (including myocardial infarction, angina and angioplasty)
- gestational diabetes
- moderate or severe Chronic Kidney Disease
- familial hypercholesterolemia
- serum total cholesterol greater than 7.5mmol/L
- systolic BP of ≥ 180mmHg or diastolic BP of ≥ 110mmHg
- impaired glucose tolerance (by FPG, OGTT or HbA1c)
- polycystic ovary syndrome
- 45 years or more, or 35 years or more for those of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent, and have an Absolute Risk score of ≥ 10% when referred by a GP clinic
The Life! program is a Victorian lifestyle modification program that helps you reduce your risk of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Each session is run by a qualified health professional and runs for approximately 90 minutes. Your partner or friend can attend the course to provide extra support. You’ll also receive a comprehensive participant workbook full of practical information on nutrition and physical activity, goal setting, sleep, stress and lapses.
The Life! group course involves a 1 hour one-on-one introductory session and five 90 minute group sessions run across a six month period.
The sessions 1 - 4 occur fortnightly, with session 5 taking place four months later.
Life-trained facilitators, Dietitian and Exercise Physiologist
Phone Ballarat Community Health on 5338 4593 to speak to the intake worker or contact the Diabetes Australia Life! Team on 13 RISK (13 74 75) for further information.
People with diabetes, pregnant women or people who have had an angina diagnosis or angioplasty or myocardial infarction in the last 3 months.
All participants need to have diabetes excluded by Fasting Blood Glucose (& OGTT if FBG >5.5mmol/L) in the past 12 months. They also require total cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and triglycerides to have been tested in the past 12 months. Facilitators require copies of pathology.