The Life! program is a Victorian lifestyle modification program that helps you reduce your risk of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
Ballarat Community Health runs daytime and evening Life! groups throughout the year. The program is free for most people.
To participate in the Life! program participants must be in compliance with one or more of the following eligibility criteria. You must be:
- 18 years or over with an AUSDRISK score of ?12 and a BMI score ?25
- 18 years or over with a previous diagnosis of one or more of the following:
- cardiovascular disease (including myocardial infarction, angina and angioplasty)
- gestational diabetes
- moderate or severe chronic kidney disease
- familial hypercholesterolemia
- serum total cholesterol greater than 5mmol/L
- systolic BP of ?180mmHg or diastolic BP of ?110mmHg
- impaired glucose tolerance (by FPG, OGTT or HbA1c)
- polycystic ovary syndrome.
- 45 years or over, or
- 35 years or over for those of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent, and have an Absolute Risk score of ?10% when referred by a GP clinic.
The Life! group course involves an hour-long one-on-one introductory session and five 90-minute group sessions across a six month period run by a qualified health professional. Your partner or friend can attend the course to provide extra support. You’ll also receive a comprehensive participant workbook full of practical information on nutrition and physical activity, goal setting, sleep, stress and lapses.
Sessions one to four occur fortnightly, with session five taking place four months later.
Phone Ballarat Community Health on 5338 4593 to speak to the intake worker or contact the Diabetes Australia Life! Team on 13 RISK (13 74 75) for further information.
People who already have diabetes, pregnant women or people who have had an angina diagnosis, angioplasty or myocardial infarction in the last three months.
All participants need to have diabetes excluded by Fasting Blood Glucose (and OGTT if FBG >5.5mmol/L) in the past 12 months. It is also required that your total cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and triglycerides have been tested in the past 12 months. Facilitators require copies of pathology.